Home
March 2013
February  2013
January 2013
January 24 2012
January 3 2012
November 15 2011
October 18 2011
September 6 2011
April 2 2011
March 21 2011
February 24 2011
February 1 2011
January 10 2011
November 29 2010
Generator rebuild
February 22 2010
February 1 2010
January 16 2010
January 7 2010
December 7 2009
November 25 2009
September 13 2009
March 11 2009
February 23 2009
February 1 2009
January 26 2009
December 20 2008
September 5
November 14 2005
November 1 2005
October 12 2005
days 91-100
days 81-90
days 71-80
days 61-70
days 51-60
days 41-50
days 31-40
days 21-30
days 11-20
days 1-10
The Start

 

Day 71

No Riley work.

Day 72

Today I removed the shelf under the rear window. I also removed the left side wood that forms the perimeter of the body where it meets the roof.  The wood that formed the bottom of the rear window was rotten and loose. I used two pieces of ash 3/4 inch thick laminated together to form the correct thickness for the replacement part.

Day 73

The local lumber yard was the first stop today where I purchased a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch AC plywood.  I used this plywood to construct the bottom of the rear shelf.  The rest of the parts were duplicated using ash from the old wood.  The exception being the top rail of the shelf.  This part is curved and supports the rear deck. Originally this part was made from a large wooden blank that was shaped into the proper curve.  I didn't have a large enough piece of ash so I laminated two 1/4 inch thick mahogany boards together.  The two boards were sprung into place and epoxied together.  That's as far as I got today. It seems as if I should be making faster progress.  One thing that is sure to slow me down is the necessity of cleaning and painting the areas that will be inaccessible once the wood is installed.

Day 74

I sanded and test fit the rear shelf.  It's very ridged with screws and epoxy.  After a little sanding of the outer edge it fit well.  I then started to prep the metal in the rear area to accept the new wood.  I removed the trunk bulkhead.  It only bolts on.  The rest of the wood on the left side was next leaving the back of the car pretty naked.  I used a wire brush on my angle grinder to remove the rust and gunk from the wheel wells and the areas the wood will nail to.  The body has small metal tabs with holes in them to attach the body to the wood.  Many tabs were rusted beyond use so I cut them off and made new ones that I welded on.  I also welded up some small holes in the wheel well area.  I have ordered some rust converting paint to apply to those areas I won't be able to access later on. I would like to be done with metal prep in this area but I really should take the time to get it right.  Sandblasting may be the answer but what a mess it creates.

 

 

 

Day 75

 More work on the wood today.  I made the ash parts that form the perimeter of the body where it meets the roof. These parts sit on a curved plywood part that I also made. Next I continued with the bottom of the rear window opening.  Previously I rough shaped and glued two boards together to get a start on making this part. I ran out of time before this  was finished.  As a bonus I spotted still more welding to do before I can install the wood.

 

Day 76

No Riley work.

Day 77

No Riley work. However I did receive a RMF parts list book I purchased on ebay.  It contains some great drawing of the car's components.

Day 78

No Riley work.

Day 79

Today I worked on the wood for the rear window opening.  The bottom part was roughed out some time ago. Still, I had to spend a lot of time sanding and carving to make it look like the old one.  Minus the rot of course.  The side pieces were next they required some creativity as the bottoms didn't have much  wood left to copy.  Luckily the top of the frame is in good shape and I reused it. I epoxied the whole thing together.  It's now very ridged.

Day 80

The rear window frame was sanded and test fit today. I tried to determine how all the roof framing will fit together.  I think in order to get everything just right I will put the roof back on before all the wood is permanently installed.  This way I can insure everything will fit.  I have a nightmare in which the metal roof won't fit over the roof frame and I have to cut it all out and start again.