Well I'm back. After a long layoff on Riley work I have started again. I really started back in September when I enlisted the family to help me put a new vinyl roof on the car. I was lucky to get a nice looking top from a club member who had it made and then decided he didn't like the pattern. To install the top I first smoothed out any dips in the metal roof with body filler. Next I glued on an old blanket instead of the wadding and burlap originally used. On a warm day the family pulled and stretched the new roof over the blanket and I nailed it down with small copper tacks. It was not easy and many tacks hit metal and bent while others were nailed in the wrong spot because it was hard to see where they should go. Everyone's fingers got sore and the temperature started to drop making the vinyl unworkable. We finished the job the next day. It came out rather nice for our first time. The seams on the vinyl are not perfectly straight but perfection is overrated anyway. I cut the vinyl out for the rear window and almost cut too much. Some pulling and tacking had everything tidied up for the rear window glass. This is when I realized I never ordered the rubber weather striping for the rear. Add it to the list. Lesson: do this job in the summer!
In October I sent some items out to be chrome plated, the parts I would need to start re assembly. The quote was so much money for what seemed like so few parts I was stunned. Yes chrome plating is really expensive. It is far less expensive to buy items from the club already chromed than it is to chrome your original stuff. That's my plan for the door handles and the other small trim. The bumpers and grill will have to wait until everything else is done.
With the newly plated chrome I was able to assemble the windscreen frame. I had new glass cut and used a new rubber gasket and rubber windscreen sealant .
The door lock mechanisms were disassembled for chrome plating. I reassembled them after fixing the door lock cams. The picture shows the cracked casting and how I repaired it with a reinforcing ring.
I got the supplies to sand and buff the paint. I have been dreading this process for a long time and have been in full avoidance mode. I started with a running board and promptly buffed through the paint to expose the primer. Next I buffed the windshield surround area. This time I didn't sand first. The area looked much better after buffing. I should have sanded but I was unwilling to risk having to repaint this area.
Installed the windshield with the help of my wife. It was tricky to get everything lined up and we did a number of dry runs before using sealant for the final installation.
Started sanding and buffing the doors. I was going to use my buff only method but the doors were too rough for that to work. They came out nice and I was able to eliminate one small run.
Sanded and buffed the remaining doors and the scuttle area.
More sanding and buffing this time it was the rear of the car and the boot lid. I noticed some small scratches that almost seem to be under the paint or could it be my sanding technique. What ever it is I will live with it, this is the best paint job I have ever done but its never going to be perfect and its time to move on.
Fit the spare tire door with all its latches and brackets. It took some time to get everything to line up an operate smoothly. The rear bumper irons were next. They were both bent from rear end crashes. I spent some time heating them up in the coal fire and bending them back into shape. It took several test fits and re-bending before I got them to fit properly. At the end of the day I powder coated them and installed them with their rubber grommet, job done.
I attached the chrome side trim. I used new mounting studs from the club and butyl rubber under the washers to keep the water out. Looks great!
I started on the left front doors weather stripping and rubber door buffers. The door weather-stripping is installed in an aluminum channel nailed to the door. I am sure you will remember I removed this channel in order to strip and repaint the door. I was not careful and destroyed the channel. Well no problem I'll get new ones from the club. Oops the channel is no longer available. So you guessed it, I made my own using annealed aluminum strips and the bending brake. I attempted to drill the holes for the nails so they would line up with the existing holes in the door. This did not prove easy so I drilled new holes and used stainless nails to secure the channels to the door. Next I inserted the weather stripping into this channel and using a wooden block I bent the channel down to secure the rubber. The rubber door buffers proved troublesome. They were way too large and I had to sand them down to get the door to close all the way. I wondered if I ordered the wrong ones or the door fit was off or I had done something wrong. I decided to stop wondering and move on.
More work on the doors. Finished each in turn. Same procedure as the first door.
Installed the window channel and glass for the left front door. The little screws I used kept pulling through the rubber backing so I used the screws and polyurethane caulking to hold the channel in place.
I glued foam noise insulation inside the door and installed the window winding mechanism. Some adjustment was necessary to make the whole thing work smoothly.
Started work on the right front door window channel, same as the left glue and screw. This window channel had to be shimmed to fit properly.