Home
March 2013
February  2013
January 2013
January 24 2012
January 3 2012
November 15 2011
October 18 2011
September 6 2011
April 2 2011
March 21 2011
February 24 2011
February 1 2011
January 10 2011
November 29 2010
Generator rebuild
February 22 2010
February 1 2010
January 16 2010
January 7 2010
December 7 2009
November 25 2009
September 13 2009
March 11 2009
February 23 2009
February 1 2009
January 26 2009
December 20 2008
September 5
November 14 2005
November 1 2005
October 12 2005
days 91-100
days 81-90
days 71-80
days 61-70
days 51-60
days 41-50
days 31-40
days 21-30
days 11-20
days 1-10
The Start

 

January 26, 2009

Today I started disassembly of driver side door.  Removing the wood turned out not to be so easy.  Apparently at the factory they put the wood in and then attached the door skin.  I was trying to pull the wood out the opposite way.  The rot in the door hinge area was causing the door to sag.  The bottom wood was also rotten.

 

January 27, 2009

I successfully removed the wood from the door and used the old parts as patterns for the new.  As it turns out I only needed to replace the rear wood where the hinges attached and the very bottom.  The rest of the wood was good enough to use with some reinforcement. 

 

 

January 29, 2009

Continued to work on the wood.  I finished the hinge side wood and door bottom and made a huge mess in the basement.  Its a good thing my wife doesn't venture down there.

 

January 30, 2009

I took the metal door shell outside for a metal brushing and sanding.  The sand blaster was in the shed with the door frozen shut so I could not use it.  It took about 2 1/2 hours to clean the door and I brought it into the basement and primed it.  I did some sanding on the wood parts and then took a look at the door latch.  The outer handle was missing when I bought the car.  At first I thought that all I needed was a new handle but on further examination I realized a small pot metal part had broken off of the door latch mechanism.  This part connects the handle shaft to the latch.  I am going to try and make the part.  Door repair --- much harder than you think.

 

January 31, 2009

I put another coat of primer on the inside of the door.  I made the part for the door latch mechanism.  I cut a small section of bolt and drilled a hole through it.  Then I used a file and dremel tool to make the hole square so it will fit the door handle shaft.  Sounds quick and easy but it was slow and hard.  I then welded it to the cam plate on the door latch mechanism.