Home
March 2013
February  2013
January 2013
January 24 2012
January 3 2012
November 15 2011
October 18 2011
September 6 2011
April 2 2011
March 21 2011
February 24 2011
February 1 2011
January 10 2011
November 29 2010
Generator rebuild
February 22 2010
February 1 2010
January 16 2010
January 7 2010
December 7 2009
November 25 2009
September 13 2009
March 11 2009
February 23 2009
February 1 2009
January 26 2009
December 20 2008
September 5
November 14 2005
November 1 2005
October 12 2005
days 91-100
days 81-90
days 71-80
days 61-70
days 51-60
days 41-50
days 31-40
days 21-30
days 11-20
days 1-10
The Start

 

November 1

The door surrounds are finished.  All the coats of polyurethane are applied.  I used satin finish, which I like a lot, but I am sure it is not to everyone's taste. 

 

November 4

I powder coated the dash hardware and brackets in black.  Then I installed the instrument cluster.  After some adjustment everything lined up and it looks good.  The switch plate beneath the cluster is rusted with the chrome not looking very good.  I cleaned and polished it but it still does not look great and will need to be rechromed.  I am thinking about setting up a home plating process for all the small parts.  Having anything chromed is very expensive.  Caswell sells kits to nickel plate small parts and I think this is what I might do.  I am going to set aside the finished dash and door surrounds for now and return to body work.  It has been difficult to get any major work accomplished in October.  We had 14" of rain in one week.  This led to floods, including one in my basement.

November 6

Fixed the dip switch with a fiberglass rod and a new pivot shaft.  Seems to work 99.9% of the time.  Good enough for me.

November 13

Big Day!!  Rolled out the Riley for the first time since May.  I planned to sandblast the inside toe boards and the firewall plus the dash shelf.  In the engine compartment I wanted to clean up the battery area and the tool area.  To start I removed the heater, wiper motor, parking brake handle, steering wheel support and miscellaneous other items.  Then I taped up the fresh air vents and other areas I didn't want to blast.  I blasted for about four hours and cleaned all the areas I wanted plus the trunk and spare tire area.  The gutter around the trunk opening needed a good cleaning and rust removal so I blasted that as well.  Now I need to make a new battery box and floor for the tool area as well as prime all the bare metal.  Just to add to the things I have to think about I spotted a crack in the exhaust manifold.  As my 7 year old son would say  "oopsie".