Home
March 2013
February  2013
January 2013
January 24 2012
January 3 2012
November 15 2011
October 18 2011
September 6 2011
April 2 2011
March 21 2011
February 24 2011
February 1 2011
January 10 2011
November 29 2010
Generator rebuild
February 22 2010
February 1 2010
January 16 2010
January 7 2010
December 7 2009
November 25 2009
September 13 2009
March 11 2009
February 23 2009
February 1 2009
January 26 2009
December 20 2008
September 5
November 14 2005
November 1 2005
October 12 2005
days 91-100
days 81-90
days 71-80
days 61-70
days 51-60
days 41-50
days 31-40
days 21-30
days 11-20
days 1-10
The Start

 

October 12

I made the plywood plugs for the ash tray holes on the door surrounds and epoxied them in place.  I spent some more time sanding the dash and it is now ready for veneer. The new veneer arrived and I like the cherry much better than the walnut.

October 19

Today I applied the veneer to the dash and the instrument surround. I used contact cement and it worked great.  The instrument surround is suppose to be painted in a faux finish but I like the veneer better.

October 25

I worked some more on the wooden door surrounds. I scraped and sanded the old varnish off. Next I applied the veneer to hide the  ash tray hole. I was able to complete 3 of the 4 surrounds before I ran out of materials. I will have to order some more cherry veneer.  The dash has received its final coat of polyurethane  ( I hope ).  I am using satin finish marine polyurethane,  I like the low sheen and it should be durable.  I am waiting for a break in the weather to resume metal work on the body.  We had no rain for most of the summer and now we have had 14 inches in the last ten days.  The rain has caused flooding in the area       ( including  my basement ). 

October 27

I did some assembly on the dash, installed the ashtrays after polishing them, and some chrome strips for the instrument surround.  The chrome bezels for the instruments still have to be glued in place.  What kind of glue?

October 28

I glued the bezels in place with some glue I got at the hardware store. It never dried. I tried to cure it with a heat lamp. The heat expanded the metal and cracked the veneer.  Not happy. I took everything off the instrument panel and filled the crack. One more coat of polly and then I epoxied the bezels in place.  Much better result. 

October 29

I started to assemble the instrument cluster, upon checking the speedometer's trip reset I discovered it would not work.  I opened the case and after some fiddling I got it to work.  I also reset the odometer to 0 miles and then attached a drill motor to the input shaft. I spun up the speed to 45 mph and put 1 mile on the instrument.  Next to the clock. While trying to attach power to it to check the operation I noticed their was no way to adjust the time. woops!  I opened up the case to discover the adjusting arm was missing. Gone. Using some music wire and some small brass tube I constructed a new one and reassembled everything. I applied power and presto, it works. It keeps pretty good time to.

October 30

The dip switch for the head lights was stuck fast so I dissembled it, one internal plastic part was cracked. I made a replacement out of some available materials and got the switch to work about 1/4 of the time. My part was just not precisely enough made. Ill Need to try again.  I looked on ebay for a replacement but no luck.